Monday, May 7, 2007

Take a Jew to Lunch!

I work in a Lutheran church. I don't work for the Lutheran church, nor am I Lutheran, but I work near a lot of Lutheranism. My co-worker was reading the latest issue of Metro Lutheran and came across this article.

After seeing The Merchant of Venice, this old Lutheran guy realizes he's never had a conversation with a Jew before. (Although he'd been meaning to for some time now. I'm sure it was right between swimming the English Channel and finally finishing the landscaping around the pool house on his list of things to do before he dies.) Somehow, he hunts one down and convinces him to have coffee. He gets his mind blown.

I don't even know where to start with this thing. I know this guy means well and if this were my grandpa or something I would probably think it was cute. But really it's sad. This guy is so proud of himself that he had one conversation with someone who is different than himself. So proud, in fact, that he wrote an editorial about it urging all his fellow Lutherans to do the same. I thought I could give Minneapolis a little more credit than that, but Minnesota Nice really only does go so far. He's done his good deed for diversity for the day and he can return to his South Minneapolis bungalow and go another 40 years without ever having to cross paths with a minority.

At least until the Guthrie decides to do Othello...

-CH

4 comments:

peter said...

i remember when you guys used to blog.

oneifbyland said...

chris should have so much more time to post now.

Unknown said...

I thought Chris was going to use this blog to write about the restaurants that he eats at. I was excited to read about what he thinks of Erte's use of salt.

BTW, while reading Booty's comment I actually heard her voice in my mind's ear before I read her signature; there's a woman in control of her craft.

peter said...

i found these comments almost more entertaining than the last post.